Morse Twist Drill &
New Bedford, MA
The following information is from the Directory of American Toolmakers, 1999, pg. 557.
The Morse Twist Drill & Machine
Company was founded by Stephen A. Morse and located in New Bedford, MA
from 1864 to 1990. They made bits, dies, drill chucks and drills.
They used the marks MORSE and M.T.D.&M.Co. Their name was also
recorded as Morse Twist Drill & Mfg. Co.
Stephen Morse developed the idea of creating a twisted drill consisting of two parallel spiral grooves with a straight cutting edge. Prior to this, drills were made from a flat piece that was pointed and sharp. He began manufacturing drills in October of 1861 with a small shop. His original patent, No. 38119, is dated April 7, 1863.
You can see this patent on the DATMP website.
Listing of companies purchased by Morse:
|1871||American Standard Tool Company||Danbury, CT||Listed also on Morse Cutting Tools website history page|
|1871||Standard Tool Company||Newark, NJ||Sayer lists this company (looks like it may be an error as it seems to combine the one above and below).|
|--||Manhattan Fire Arms Company||Newark, NJ||Listed on Morse Cutting Tools website history page|
|1874||New York Tap and Die Company||Bridgeport||Listed also on Morse Cutting Tools website history page|
|1879||New York Twisted Drill Company||Brooklyn|
|1885||Rockford Twist Drill and Patent Company||Rockford, IL|
|1897||T & B Tool Company||Danbury, CT||Listed also on Morse Cutting Tools website history page|
Stephen Morse's original shop of 1861 was in East Bridgewater. He moved to New Bedford in June of 1864 because he was able to aquire enough interested capital to set up a new shop there.